How Do I Get Worker’s Compensation Benefits in Georgia?
Jon R. Hawk helps injured workers navigate the claims process
It should be simple. You’ve been injured on the job, you file a claim, then collect benefits until you can return to work. But the process is complicated, and insurance companies try to minimize claims. Jon R. Hawk, Sr., LLC stands up for injured workers and helps guide them through the claims process, step by step.
Macon workers’ compensation attorney Jon R. Hawk is very familiar with the laws and knows how to move your claim forward. If you’ve been injured at work, here are the steps you need to take:
- Call a lawyer. It is not required to have a lawyer to file for workers’ compensation But it is in your own best interests. The workers’ compensation process can be confusing. Also, employers and insurance carriers will try to minimize your claim, or even deny it. An experienced workers’ compensation lawyer can help you navigate the process to ensure you get the benefits you deserve.
- Report your injury or illness. Notify your employer as soon as possible. The law gives you 30 days from the date of your injury, or the date you learned of a work-related illness, to report it to your employer. If you don’t meet this requirement, you risk losing your right to workers’ compensation benefits.
- File a claim for benefits. You have 1 year to file a claim for workers’ compensation benefits in Georgia. Use Form WC-14 to submit your claim. This begins the claims process.
- See a doctor. You must be examined by a doctor approved by your employer. Your employer is required to keep a list of approved doctors at the workplace, where it can easily be seen. Jon can help you select a doctor from the list, if it meets Georgia’s legal standards, or challenge the list if it does not.
- Follow up. An insurance carrier has 21 days to investigate your accident. But sometimes there is a delay, and other times claims are denied. This can hold up the payment of benefits. Jon stands by you each step of the way to help you get the benefits you deserve.
Jon helps you prepare for medical exams and will represent you at all hearing and appeals. He is determined to make sure you receive all of the workers’ compensation benefits you should be getting. If you’ve been hurt on the job, talk to Jon. Contact us today for a free consultation.